Saturday, September 3, 2011

Nealon Design PHOTOGRAPHY

I think I got my first camera for Christmas when I was 6...maybe 7 (mom?). It was a real camera, even if it was Fisher Price and required 110 film. It was blue and had big rubber grips to help hang on to it. There was no flash, so I had to buy big, disposable flash bulbs that were inserted to the top. They popped when used and then had a bizarre smell that I loved yet couldn't stand... Or just take pictures outside. (Holy cow, I just Googled "Fisher Price blue camera 1980s" and found a picture of it! The internet continues to amaze me! It is listed as "vintage" HA!)So, I've always loved taking pictures, and am usually the one that can always be counted on to have my camera....usually pressed up to my face.




I dreamed of having a SLR camera when I was a teenager. I was constantly doing "photo shoots" with my friends whether we were creating our own faux Glamour Shots or if I was pretending to take senior pictures. I finally got a basic Nikon DSLR at age 27 the Christmas after my little guy was born. Man, why didn't I get it BEFORE he was born to have better pictures of his first months of life?! Oh well. "Mamarazzi" is a term I heard from a friend a while ago that I've embraced whole-heartedly.




Since that time, my interest in photography, lenses, light and editing has increased significantly. I now own a Nikon D3100, 4 lenses, and have a lengthy wish list of lenses....if only this "hobby" wasn't so expensive....




I know just enough to be dangerous. I'm taking a general photography class with a friend this fall, so hopefully I can get some pointers on low light settings and brush up before I do several "Christmas card" shoots this fall/winter. I should have paid more attention to the technical stuff in my 2 photography classes in college. Too bad that was in the early 2000s and I didn't even have a digital camera back then. Those were still the good-ole film days. (I'm aging myself, aren't I.)



The design aspect of my work is still my favorite and will continue to be my focus. However, if I can make a little cash to feed my photography passion, I am happy to get snappy! ;)




I had my first paid shoot a couple of weeks ago. The mother is the sister of a coworker of a friend and neighbor of mine (follow that?!). I drove up to northern Grand Rapids to take 2 year old pictures of their precious little girl and some family shots in hopes of getting a good one for a Christmas card.




Two year olds are moving targets for sure. I'm used to this and ended up taking about 400 pictures. (Praise God for digital cameras!!) I narrowed and narrowed the selection down and then tried my hand at actual "professional" editing. I think it went pretty well and I hope that the family was pleased with the proofs that I sent. Here are just a few of my favorites. (click to enlarge)


Following that session, last weekend before going to a birthday party I asked my own little guy if he would let me take some pictures of him. He was a willing subject (this is the most important factor with him...) and I got some great shots of him playing outside and on a swing. He just turned 3.


Lastly, I've been known to get a little artsy with my photography. I was an art major...can't help it. Anyway, this one was taken in an underground, walking, street tunnel back in June. It is my little boy with his paternal grandparents. I just love it.


I'm certainly not a professional photographer and DO NOT claim to be. But I love to play around and I'm learning a lot. I'd love to be able to fund my hobby with photographs, so please let me know if you are in west Michigan, northeastern Ohio, or middle/northeast-Georgia and want me to snap a few pictures for you and your family.



1 comment:

  1. I actually think it was for your 5th birthday. I can look for some pictures you took. Not sure, but I know you were young and LOVED it! I'm happy to benefit from your creativity.

    ReplyDelete